IBPS RRB CWE Office Assistant (English Language) Exam Paper - Held on 12th September 2015
Institute of Banking Personnel Selection
Directions (81-85): Read the following sentences to find out whether there is any grammatical error in them. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. Mark the p0asrt with the error as your answer. If there is no error, mark 'No error' as your answer. (Ignore the error of punctuation, if any)
81. Such manufacturing plant will/generated employment for/over 1000 skilled professional/over the next five years.
a.) Such manufacturing plant will
b.) generated employment for
c.) over 1000 skilled professionals
d.) over the next five years
e.) No Error
82. On account of the falling it/its revenue and profitability/the company has received/a lower credit rating this year.
a. On account of the falling in
b. its revenue and profitability
c. the company has received
d. a lower credit rating t5his y6ear
e. No error
83. The panel appointed by/the government has recommended/the removal of these ambiguity/in the draft of the taxation law.
a. The panel appointed by
b. the government has recommended
c. the removal of these ambiguity
d. in the draft of the taxation law
e. No Error
84. With the Reserve Bank of Indian handling out/licenses for new banks as well as/new types of banks such as Payment banks/Public Sector Bank will face many challenges.
a. With the Reserve Bank of India handling out
b. licenses for new banks as well as
c. new types of banks such as Payment banks,
d. Public sector Banks will face many challenges
e. No error
85. When the Emperor heard of/the saga's wit and intelligence/he sent to a messenger to/invite him to the court.
a. When the Emperor heard of
b. the saga's wit and intelligence
c. he sent to a messenger to
d. invite him to the court
e. No error
Direction (86-95): Read the following passage carefully and answers the given questions. Certain words/phrases have been I bold to help you locate them while answering some of the questions Once an old lady lost her eyesight and became blind. She called a doctor and agreed to pay him a very big amount if he cured her. But she has a condition that she would not give a single penny, if she were not cured. The doctor came to her house daily for treatment. Day after day he started stealing the lady's house. In order to do this, he delayed curing the lady. He finally cured the lady after he had removed all the furniture and valuable articles from the lady. But the lady refused to pay he fees and said that she was not fully cured. The doctor registered a case against her. On being asked by judge in the court as to why she was not paying the fee, the sharp lady told the court that her eye sight had not fully restored as she could not see, her furniture and other articles in the house. The judge was very clever. He gathered what was going on and punished the doctor.
86. Which of the following can be said about the doctor?
A. He spent the rest of his life in prison.
B. He was outwitted by the old lady.
C. he believed he could get away with his deception.
a. Only A
b. A and B
c. Only C
d. B and C
e. A,B, and C
87. Which of the following is true according to the story?
a. The lady was still partially blind, hence refused to pay
b. The judge in the court was not intelligent.
c. The doctor's in fact was not successful.
d. The lady had taken advantage of the doctor's naivete.
e. All the given statements are true.
88. Choose the word which is most opposite in meaning to the word 'Registered' given in bold as used in the passage.
89. Choose the word which is most similar in meaning to the word' Gathered' given in bold as used in passage.
90. Which of the following can be the most appropriate title for the story?
a. The Skilled Doctor
b. The Blind One Who Saw All
c. The Rich Lady's House
d. The Court of Mercy and Justice
e. The Iron Lady
91. Which of the following can be said about old lady?
A. She was dumb.
B. She fought for justice.
C. She was a cheat.
a. Only A
b. Only B
c. A and C
d. Only C
e. A, B, and C
92. Choose the word which is most similar in meaning to the word 'Cured' iven in bold as used in passage.
93. Which one of the following aspects of the doctor's personality comes across very strongly in the story.
a. He was arrogant.
b. He was empathetic
c. He was rich
d. He was a cheat.
e. He was gullible
94. Why did the lady not complain when her furniture was being stolen?
a. She had no use for it
b. She had no idea that it was happening even after she was cured.
c. She always wanted to pay the doctor in kind and not cash.
d. She intended to sell it anyway and thought the doctor was doing her a favour.
e. Other than those given as options
95. Choose the word which is most opposite in meaning to the word 'Delayed' given in bold as used in passage.
Directions (96-100): Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningful complete.
96. The gentleman came to know that the villager was in ….. of money.
97. Two crows …… each other to see who could fly the highest.
98. ……. All the other man in Alaska, Sheena's father did not have a steady job.
99. Kevin was eagerly … for the summer holidays to begin.
100. Suddenly there was a flash of lightening …. By thunderstorm.
Directions (101-105): Rearrange the given six sentences A,B,C,D,E and F in a proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the given questions.
A. Immediately the crowd dispersed leaving Joja to deal with
his donkey as he thought fit.
B. Many people gathered around them and started asking why he was beating the poor animal.
C. In anger and desperation Joja began to belabour it with a stick.
D. Joja was on his way to the market with a basketful of vegetables, loaded on his donkey when suddenly halfway there the donkey stopped and even after trying hard, did not buedge.
E. "I can see you come from a large and bud-mouthed family," he said to his donkey with sarcasm.
F. Joja gave his donkey an admiring look and said, 'Had I known you had so many relatives to defend you I would never have hit you.
101. Which of the following should be the Sixth (Last) sentence after rearrangement?a. E
102. Which of the following should be the Second sentence after rearrangement?
103. Which of the following should be the fourth sentence after rearrangement?
104. Which of the following should be the first sentence after rearrangement?
105. Which of the following should be the fifth sentence after rearrangement?
Directions (106-110): In each question below, a sentence with four words printed in bold type is given. These are numbered as (a), (b) and (c) and (d). One of these four words printed in bold may be either wrongly spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentence. Find out the word which is wrongly spelt or inappropriate, if any. The letter of that word is your answer. If all the words printed in bold are correctly spelt and also appropriate in the text of the sentence, mark (e) i.e., 'All correct' as your answer.
106. Out of the two mules that Roma had, one fall in the well.
(e) All correct
107. Snow white is under threat from her evil September who wants to be the fairest in the village.
(e) All correct
108. Nobody realizes that over two billion people across the globe now speak this language.
(e) All correct
109. Tried of seeing the land he loves cluttered with trash, Thurman the turtle decided to take action
(e) All Correct
110. During his chase to catch a rabbit, he sprang into a small bush from where he came out not with the rabbit but with a huge throne in his plam.
(e) All correct
Directions (111-120): In the given passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. Against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case. Two baby coyotes once lost their way while travelling through a forest. Tried and frightened they walked on and on (111) one of them sat down and burst into tears. The other tried to (112) him and said a small prayer. 'Dear God, please help us find our way (113) home.' The Gods took pity and created dark clouds in the sky. "Yippeel" (114) the coyote who believed his prayer had been answered. The other began to cry (115). The rain began to fall and the entire forest was soon (116). The coyotes were swept away by the (117) of the water. 'This is so much fun, we'll soon be homel!" shouted (118) joyfully. The other kept his eyes tightly shut and btgun to curse as they were tossed (119) by the swirling waters. As the waters swept past, the coyote, whose eyes were open in (120) looking at the world, suddenly jumped towards something. He has seen his mother who grabbed him and led him to safety. The other coyote kept his eyes shut and was swept out to sea.