Daily Current Affairs (English) - 15.06.2018
Bindeshwar honoured with Nikkei Asia Prize
- Social reformer & founder of Sulabh Int. Bindeshwar Pathak was honoured with Japan’s prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize.
- The award was given under Culture and Community category for his significant work in tackling poor hygiene and discrimination.
- Launched in 1996, the award honours people in Asia who have made significant contributions in science, technology & innovation and culture & community.
‘Utsonmobile’ app developed by CRIS
- CRIS has developed a mobile-based application ‘utsonmobile’.
- The ‘utsonmobile’ application enables booking & cancellation of unreserved tickets, issue and renewal of season and platform tickets, check & load R-wallet balance & helps maintain user profile management and booking history.
- The ‘utsonmobile’ application is very handy, free and is available for both Android and Windows smartphone.
Solar Charkha Mission to be launched
The Solar Charkha Mission of the Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), will be launched by the President, Ram Nath Kovind on June 27 in New Delhi. The Mission will cover 50 clusters and every cluster will employ 400 to 2000 artisans. The Mission has been approved by the Government of India and will disburse subsidy of Rs. 550 crore to the artisans.
- The Solar Charkha Mission of the Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), will be launched by the President, Ram Nath Kovind on June 27, 2018, in New Delhi.
- The Mission will cover 50 clusters and every cluster will employ 400 to 2000 artisans.
- The Mission has been approved by the Government of India and will disburse subsidy of Rs. 550 crore to the artisans.
- The Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS) has developed a mobile-based application ‘utsonmobile' to enable cashless ticketing.
- The mobile app will enable booking and cancellation of unreserved tickets, issue and renewal of season and platform tickets and checking and loading of R-wallet balance. It will also help maintain user profile management and booking history.
Cabinet approved ‘Three Year Action Plan’
- Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of the Three Year Action Plan (2017-2020) of the scheme for Agricultural Education Division and ICAR Institutes with an outlay of Rs.2225.46 crore.
- It comprises of: “Strengthening and Development of Higher Agricultural Education in India”
- The scheme is aimed to generate quality human resources from the institutions of higher agricultural education
Sulabh International honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize
- Bindeshwar Pathak, noted social reformer and founder of Sulabh International, was on June 13, 2018 honoured with Japan's prestigious Nikkei Asia Prize.
- The award was conferred to Pathak under the ‘Culture and Community’ category for his significant work in tackling poor hygiene and discrimination.
- Speaking after receiving his award at the 23rd Nikkei Asia Prize ceremony in Tokyo, 75-year-old Pathak said that the honour will be another milestone in his commitment to the service of the society in Asia in particular and the world in general.
Delhi air quality beyond ‘severe’ level
- The air quality in Delhi deteriorated beyond the ‘severe’ level on Wednesday.
- Dust storms in western India increased coarser particles in the air, according to Central Pollution Control Board data.
- The PM10 level was at 778 in the Delhi-NCR area and 824 in Delhi particularly, which led to hazy conditions and limited visibility.
Important Union Cabinet decisions June 2018
- Extension of tenure of the Commission constituted to examine the issue of Sub-categorization within Other Backward Classes in the Central List.
- Agreement between India and Peru on New and Renewable energy.
- MoU between India and Vietnam on Joint issue of the postage stamp.
- Repositioning of North Eastern Council.
- Proposal for the enactment of Dam Safety Bill, 2018.
India’s FY18 current account deficit grows 42% to $160bn
- A surging import bill, which included crude oil, has resulted in a widening of the current account deficit (CAD) — the gap between imports and exports of goods & services — the to 1.9% of the gross domestic product (GDP) in FY18 from 0.6% in FY17.
- Oil imports resulted in net outflows of $71 billion in FY18, up from $55 billion in FY17.
- However, oil was not the only culprit with non-oil imports too up 18% to $361 billion from $305 billion in FY17 (see the net difference in the graphic).
- Also contributing to the increase in the import bill was the rise in gold purchases.
HDFC fifth largest consumer financial services company globally: Forbes
- Housing finance major HDFC has been ranked as the 5th biggest public company globally in the ‘consumer financial services category‘ on a list compiled by Forbes magazine.
- American Express has topped this category, while Indiabulls Housing Finance is the only other Indian company (at 13th place) on the list.
- In the consumer financial services category, HDFC’s rank has moved up from 7th place last year.
- In the overall list, topped by China’s banking behemoth ICBC, HDFC took 321st place, up from 404th a year ago.
- There are a total of 58 Indian companies on the overall list of 2,000 firms from across the world.
- These include Reliance Industries at 83rd place, the only from India in the top-100. Besides, HDFC Bank is at 202nd, ONGC at 266th, Indian Oil at 270th and ICICI Bank at 320th.
NITI Aayog to launch Composite Water Management Index
NITI Aayog on June 13, 2018 announced to launch the Composite Water Management Index with an aim to achieve the objective of ‘Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas’. The Composite Water Management Index will be a useful tool to assess and improve the performance in efficient management of water resources. This index is an attempt to inspire States and UTs towards efficient and optimal utilisation of water and recycling, with a sense of urgency.
- NITI Aayog has come out with various indices that not only fulfills its mandate of cooperative and competitive federalism but also challenges States and Union Territories (UTs) them to meet the aspirations of the new India.
- Furthering this mandate, NITI Aayog has come up with the Composite Water Management Index as a useful tool to assess and improve the performance in the efficient management of water resources.
- This index is an attempt to inspire States and UTs towards efficient and optimal utilization of water, and recycling thereof with a sense of urgency.
World Blood Donor Day: 14th June
Every year, on 14 June, countries around the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day. The event serves to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood and to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations. This year’s slogan is “Be there for someone else. Give blood. Share life”.
- Transfusion of blood and blood products helps save millions of lives every year. Every year, on 14 June, countries around the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day.
- The event serves to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood and to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations to ensure the quality, safety, and availability of blood and blood products for patients in need.
- The host country for World Blood Donor, Day 2018 events is Greece.
Virtual ID can be used for new SIM
- Consumers can either give their Virtual IDs or Aadhaar card number to get new SIMs or verify existing ones, as per a notice by the telecom department.
- The Virtual ID system provides users with a 16-digit randomly generated number which can be used instead of the Aadhaar number.
- The service will be enabled on the UIDAI website from July 1.