Daily Current Affairs (English) - 13.06.2018
Submitted by admin on Wed, 06/13/2018 - 11:12
Railways launch ‘Menu On Rails’ App
- Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways & Coal launched a new App ‘Menu on Rails’, a Mobile Application developed by IRCTC for creating awareness to the Railway Passengers for the items served to them on their Rail Journey.
- The Ministry of Railways launched a new app called ‘Menu On Rails’ through which passengers can see meals on offer onboard trains.
- The ‘Menu on Rails’ is developed by IRCTC for creating awareness about the food items served to passengers on their rail journey.
- At present, for mail and express trains, food items are covered in four categories namely beverages, breakfast, meals and a-la-carte.
National Awards on Best Performing SHGs
- Shri Narendra Singh conferred the National Awards on Best Performing Self Help Groups under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM).
- It will provide public recognition to the outstanding performance of the community institutions.
- As part of the Award, each SHG received a cash award of Rs. 1,00,000 along with a commemoration and a certificate of appreciation.
Blast Furnace-1 of Rourkela Plant inaugurated
- The Union Minister of Steel, Chaudhary Birender Singh dedicated the rebuilt Blast Furnace-1 ‘Parvati’ of SAIL, Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) to the Nation.
- Parvati is the first Blast Furnace of SAIL that was dedicated to the nation on 3rd February 1959 by the first President of India, Dr Rajendra Prasad.
- The Blast Furnace was put down on 6th August 2013 for total rebuilding.
Grand Finale of Smart India Hackathon 2018
- The Ministry of HRD along with AICTE, Persistent Systems, i4C and IIT Kharagpur is all set to host the Grand Finale of Smart India Hackathon 2018, Hardware edition from Jun 18-22, 2018.
- The Smart India Hackathon 2018 is in line with the ‘Make in India’ initiative.
- Hardware edition is the first of its kind innovative initiative to provide a national platform to young technical minds of India.
India to host first BIMSTEC war games in September
- India will host the first military exercise of the BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) group focussing on counter-terrorism in September.
- As part of this, a conclave of the Army chiefs of all seven member-states is being planned. The exercise is scheduled to be held in Pune in the second week of September.
- “The aim of the exercise is to promote strategic alignment among the member-states and to share best practices in the area of counter-terrorism,” a defence source said.
RBI turns net seller of US dollar in April
- After remaining net buyer of the US dollars for past many months, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) became net seller in April, after it sold $2.483 billion of the US currency in the spot market, according to its data.
- During the reporting month, the apex bank bought $5.536 billion of dollars from the spot market, while it sold $8.019 billion.
- In April 2017, RBI was net buyer of the US currency as it had bought $1.751 billion and sold $1.185 billion in the spot market.
- In March this year, it was net seller as it had purchased $3.328 billion, and sold $2.332 billion.
Government appoints S Ramesh as Chairman of CBIC
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed S Ramesh, member of Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) as its next Chairman.
- He will succeed present chairman Vanaja N. Sarna who retires in June 2018.
- CBIC is the nodal national agency responsible for administering Customs, GST, Central Excise, Service Tax & Narcotics in India.
- It is part of the Department of Revenue under Union Ministry of Finance. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
DoT launches 5,000 WiFi choupals in partnership with CSC
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal on Monday proposed to open extended banking counters across all 2.9 lakh common service centers (CSCs) that are operated by village level entrepreneurs to provide government services in rural areas.
- “My dream will come true if you accept the challenge to open extension counters of banks in 2.9 lakh places.
- If required we can collaborate with renewable and power ministry to set-up small solar units at your places so that electricity becomes free,” Goyal said after IRCTC and CSC e-Governance signed an agreement for train ticket bookings.
World Day Against Child Labour
- The International Labour Organization (ILO) launched the World Day Against Child Labour in 2002 to focus attention on the global extent of child labour and the action and efforts needed to eliminate it.
- The theme of World Day against Child Labour 2018 was ‘Generation Safe & Healthy’.
- ILO Headquarters is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
Piyush Goyal launches “Rail Madad”
- In line with digital initiatives of Hon’ble PM, Indian Railways has for the first time completely digitized the Complaint management system.
- Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways & Coal today launched a new App “Rail Madad” – An App to expedite & streamline passenger grievance redressal. RPGRAMS (Railway Passenger Grievance Redressal and Management System), which has been developed by Northern Railway (Delhi Division).
- It comprises many novel features including ‘Rail Madad’ – a mobile App to register complaints by passengers through mobile phone/web.
India gives Rs 99 mn to Nepal
- India extended a financial aid of Rs 99 mn to Nepal for the construction of 2,700 shallow tube well irrigation systems in 12 districts of the country.
- The assistance has been extended as part of the final payment for the Nepal-Bharat Maitri Irrigation Project, which was launched to boost growth to the Himalayan nation’s agricultural sector.
- Manjeev Singh Puri is India’s Ambassador to Nepal.
12,000-yr-old rock painting found in China
- Archaeologists have confirmed that a rock painting discovered in the Lesser Khingan Mountains in China’s Heilongjiang province dates back 12,000 years.
- Several images painted with ochre were discovered on a rock in the city of Heihe.
- Preliminary studies showed that it was a scene of humans hunting, reports Xinhua news agency.