Daily Current Affairs (English) - 08.06.2018
Submitted by admin on Fri, 06/08/2018 - 11:23
India ranks 137th on Global Peace Index 2018
- India has moved up four places to the 137th rank among 163 countries on the 2018 Global Peace Index.
- Iceland remains the most peaceful country in the world, a position it has held since 2008.
- New Zealand, Austria, Portugal and Denmark also sit in the top five most peaceful rankings.
- Syria remains the least peaceful country in the world, a position it has held for the past five years.
India’s Maternal Mortality Ratio drops to 130
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Jagat Prakash Nadda said India has seen a decline in its Maternal Mortality Ratio from 139 to 130.
- India’s MMR has significantly fallen from 167 in 2011-13 to the present figure of 130, as per the latest Sample Registration System figures.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has implemented various schemes to increase access to quality healthcare
- According to the bulletin, the Maternal Mortality Ratio in India declined from 167 in 2011-2013 to 130 in 2014-2016. The MMR is defined as the proportion of maternal deaths per 1, 00,000 live births.
- The decline in the ratio was most significant in Empowered Action Group (EAG) states from 246 to 188.
India-Denmark MoU on sustainable development
- The Union Cabinet apprised the MoU signed between India and Denmark.
- The objective of this MoU is to promote bilateral cooperation in the field of sustainable and smart urban development on the basis of reciprocity and mutual benefit through an exchange of knowledge, institutional cooperation, research.
- Under this MoU, a Joint Working Group (JWG) will be set up to strategise.
Upcoming summit between US President Donald Trump, Kim Jong-un could extend into 2nd day
- The upcoming summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore could extend into a second day if it goes well.
- According to reports, US officials have laid the groundwork for the second day of meetings if the two leaders decide to continue discussions. However, the White House is yet to confirm the development.
- The summit will be a historic first meeting between a sitting US President and North Korean leader. Talks will begin at the Capella Hotel on Singapore's Sentosa Island at 9 AM on June 12.
C18-Mica-4 can remove majority of pollutants from urban waste water: Spanish scientists
- Spanish scientists have identified absorbent materials that can help soak up pollutants found in urban waste water in less than 24 hours.
- Researchers from University of Seville evaluated two types of phyllosilicates. These are a subclass of silicates and include common mineral in very different environments.
- The results show that the material C18-Mica-4 is capable of eliminating the majority of pollutants that were evaluated in urban waste water, as well as surface water and potable water.
‘Fund of Funds’ to ensure startup funding: PM
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the government’s Rs.10,000/-crore ‘fund of funds’ will ensure that startups get fundings.
- He further said as of now the fund has provided an assistance of Rs.7,000 crore to startups.
- In the long term, the fund is expected to provide a funding of Rs.1 lakh crore for startups.
WB approves 6,000 crore Atal Bhujal Yojana
- The World Bank has approved Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY), a Rs.6000 crore Central Sector Scheme of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The scheme is to be implemented over a period of five years from 2018-19 to 2022-23.
- The scheme aims to improve groundwater management in priority areas in the country through community participation.
- The scheme will be implemented over a period of five years from 2018-19 to 2022-23 with assistance from the World Bank.
- The scheme proposal has already been recommended by the Expenditure Finance Committee and the Ministry will be seeking Cabinet approval for the project shortly.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code Ordinance 2018
- The President gave assent to promulgate the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Ordinance, 2018.
- The Ordinance provides significant relief to home buyers by recognizing their status as financial creditors.
- This would give them due representation in the Committee of Creditors and make them an integral part of the decision making process.
First tropical storm of east Pacific
- The first named tropical storm of the east Pacific hurricane season formed off the coast of Mexico.
- “Aletta”, the storm is expected to build to hurricane strength early, the National Hurricane Center in Miami said.
- It had maximum sustained winds of 45 mph (75 kph) and was moving west at 8 mph (13 kph).
World first EPR nuclear reactor begins
- A third generation EPR reactor in China carried out its first nuclear chain reaction, an initial start up which is a world first for the much-delayed European technology.
- The European Pressurised Reactor (EPR) in China “carried out its first chain and therefore it has started.
- The reactor is not expected to be completed until the mid 2020s.
Geo-Intelligence Asia – 2018
- The Eleventh edition of GeoIntelligence Asia 2018 was held in New Delhi.
- The theme of Seminar was ‘GeoSpatial : A Force Multiplier for Defence and Industrial Security’.
- The seminar brought together BSF, Police Forces, Government and industry together to examine the latest technology solutions and on the critical role of geospatial technology in military and security applications.
RBI releases Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement 2018-19
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on June 6, 2018 released its Second Bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement 2018-19.
- After assessing the current and evolving macroeconomic situation in the economy, the six members Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decided to increase the policy Repo Rate under the Liquidity Adjustment Facility (LAF) by 25 basis points to 6.25 percent.
- The Reverse Repo Rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 6.0 percent. The Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate stand at 6.5 percent.
Anupam Kher to be given Lifetime Achievement honour at upcoming IIFA
- Veteran film actor Anupam Kher will be given the prestigious Lifetime Achievement honour at the upcoming International Indian Film Academy awards ceremony in Bangkok.
- He will be presented with the honour on June 24 at the 19th edition of IIFA.
- The 63-year-old actor has worked in over 500 films spanning across languages along with projects both in India and abroad for over three decades.
Myanmar, UN sign pact on steps for Rohingya return
- Myanmar and UN agencies signed an agreement on June 6, 2018 that could lead to the return of some of the 700,000 Rohingyas who fled brutal persecution by the country's security forces and are now crowded into makeshift camps in Bangladesh.
- Myanmar's security forces have been accused of rape, killing, torture and the burning of Rohingya homes in western Rakhine state, where most Rohingyas lived.
- The UN and US have described the army crackdown that began in August 2017 as ethnic cleansing.
- Myanmar and Bangladesh agreed in November to begin repatriating Rohingyas.
Centre constitutes group to suggest changes in SEZ policy
- The Centre has constituted a group of eminent persons to study the Special Economic Zones, SEZ Policy of India. The group will be headed by Industrialist Baba Kalyani.
- The group will evaluate the SEZ policy, suggest measures to cater to the needs of exporters in the present economic scenario and make the SEZ policy WTO compatible. The Group has to submit its recommendation in three months.
- The SEZ Policy was implemented from 1st April, 2000. Subsequently, the Special Economic Zones Act, 2005 was passed by Parliament in May, 2005 which received Presidential assent on the June 23, 2005 and the Special Economic Zone Act was enacted.